Someone had given me their Apple TV2 to investigate why Netflix stopped working. The Apple TV2 was in firmware version 4.4.4, and it appears that Netflix has stopped working on anything older that version 5.
And so the only was to resolve the issue was to load firmware version 5.3 and to get Netflix working again at the same time, jail breaking the Apple TV2 as it was before.
So the first thing to do in this situation was to download the latest version if SeasOnPass and run. However, instead of clicking on “Create IPSW”, we need to load an existing IPSW file FIRST. And to load an existing IPSW (version 5.3) was to right click over the “Create IPSW” button. The image below is what you’ll get:
After selecting version 5.3, there was a problem. I was not able to load the IPSW file and I received the message “This device isn’t eligible for the requested builded”. I though I was screwed, until I found the solution.
- Go to http://www.ipswdownloader.com/
- Look up the Device, Model and Firmware you’re looking for
- Download the IPSW file to your computer
- Connect your Apple TV2 to your computer via USB
- Open iTunes and click on ‘Apple V’ under Devices.
- Look for a button that reads “Restore”. PAY ATTENTION TO THE NEXT STEP
- Hold SHIFT (VERY IMPORTANT) and click Restore, you will will then be prompted to navigate for an IPSW file. Navigate to the IPSW file you downloaded.
- After the Restore completes, open SeasOnsPass
- Click on “Create IPSW”, no need to right click as you have the correct firmware loaded on the Apple TV already
- Moving forward, the jail break continues on as normal. I’m not going to expand further as this was a tutorial on solving the error not jail breaking.