Should I choose a new MacBook or Refurbished?
IN THE MARKET FOR AN APPLE MACBOOK?
If you’re in the market for a MacBook but feel the price is a little steep for your wallet, you should think about buying a refurbished MacBook from Apple.
WHAT EXACTLY IS ‘REFURBISHED’?
I’m pretty sure when people find a product with the word ‘refurbished’ printed on it, they’ll tend to stay away from it because they think there’s something wrong with it. If there WAS something wrong with the product, rest assured the problem was found, repaired and tested.
In other cases, refurbished could also mean ‘open box’ items. What can happen is if an item gets returned to the store because the purchaser simply wasn’t happy, the item goes back to the manufacturer, tested and once again put back on the market and label as a ‘refurbished’ item.
APPLE’S STRINGENT QUALITY PROCESS
When discussing Apple refurbished products, some units are returned due to technical issues but all units undergo Apple’s stringent quality refurbishment process.
Each Apple Certified Refurbished Product:
• is fully tested (including full burn-in testing).
• is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing.
• is put through a thorough cleaning process and inspection.
• is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.).
• includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system. See each products “Learn More” for more details.
• is given a new refurbished part number and serial number.
• is placed into a Final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock.
SAME AS ‘LIKE NEW’ GUIDELINES
Refurbishment procedures follow the same basic technical guidelines as Apple’s Finished Goods testing procedures.
Here are the advantages of purchasing refurbished:
• Substantial savings
• A fully functional unit with complete documentation
• The assurance that the unit meets Apple’s premiere quality standards, and that its defective components have been replaced by genuine Apple components
And remember that all Apple Certified Refurbished Products are covered by Apple’s One-Year Limited Warranty. For extended coverage, you have the option of purchasing the AppleCare Protection Plan.
If you’re in the market for an Apple refurbished product, you can only purchase them online from Apple’s website. If you find the item in stock, BUY IT, refurbished products from Apple is limited. Apple recommends that you act quickly if you see the item you want.
SO NEW MACBOOK OR REFURBISHED?
In conclusion, if you want to save some money, go for the Refurbished MacBook. The warranty coverage between a new and refurbished MacBook is exactly the same, so you’re protected for one year.
And let me add that I made the decision to buy a refurbished MacBook Pro and I’m very happy with my decision. As of the posting of this article, I’ve had my Refurbished MacBook for 6 months and it’s running great.
I also upload a short video about my refurbished MacBook on YouTube; you can watch it here: