Wow, what a week. Over a week ago I decided to upgrade my hackintosh to Lion 10.7. I downloaded the installer, setup my USB drive and well, got frustrated. I installed Lion 10.7 and wasn’t able to get my Asus nVidia 8400GS 512MB video card back to it’s full resolution.
So I decided to start from scratch..pretty much. It’s very important to have a full cloned back up of your hard drive. You can find out here on how to back up your hackintosh hard drive to a bootable disc.
So my back up contained Snow Leopard 10.6.3, what meant I had to bring it up to 10.6.8 before going to Lion. Actually, you need to be at 10.6.6 to update, but the 10.6.8 Combo pack is all that’s available to update.
So here’s how I did it:
- Updated my 10.6.3 machine using MacOSXupdCombo10.6.8.dmg DO NOT REBOOT WHEN COMPLETED
- Run MultiBeast (Snow Leopard Edition); selected EasyBeast and System Utilities
- Since I use an Asus nVidia 8400GS 512MB graphics card, I had to add my device ID (10c3) to NVDAN50.kext
- Reboot (I like to do things ONE at a time…help with troubleshooting)
- Work on audio. My onboard audio is Realtek ALC888B so all I had to do is run MultiBeast and select AppleHDA Rollback and System Utilities