GOOD MORNING PANCAKES
Making pancakes is very simple but we still turn towards those pre-packaged, processed boxed mixes. With Alton Brown’s recipe for a homemade instant pancake mix you can get the same convenience but without the processed nutritional nasties. It’s a lot cheaper as well!
INSTANT PANCAKE MIX - From Alton Brown, Food Network
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Combine all of the ingredients in a lidded container. Shake to mix and use it within 3 months.
Yield: 3 batches of pancakes.
Although, Alton Brown’s original recipe calls or buttermilk, I usually don’t have it in the fridge so I decided to use milk and added a splash of vanilla. It turned out mighty tasty
Since I didn’t add buttermilk, I also skipped the steps of separating the eggs, adding the whites to the milk, the yolks to the melted butter. You can still do that if you want but who wants to get this complicated in the morning?
HOMEMADE INSTANT PANCAKE MIX
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups Instant Pancake Mix, recipe above
- Butter, for greasing the pan
- Fresh fruit, optional
- Heat an electric griddle or frying pan to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, butter and vanilla in a small bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the liquid ingredients on top of the pancake mix. Using a whisk, mix the batter just enough to bring it together. Don’t try to work all the lumps out.
- Let the batter sit for 5 minutes.
- Lightly butter the hot griddle or pan and wipe off thoroughly with a paper towel. (No butter should be visible.)
- Gently ladle the pancake batter using a ¼ cup measure onto the griddle and sprinkle on fruit if desired. When bubbles begin to set around the edges of the pancake and the griddle-side of the cake is golden, gently flip the pancakes. Continue to cook 2 to 3 minutes or until the pancake is set.
- Serve immediately or hold in a warm place for 20 to 30 minutes.
Yield: 12 pancakes